Creative writing is an excellent way to stimulate the mind, learn new words, and develop vocabulary. Creative writing prompts are story starters, and should ideally be used for creative writing. If you are stuck on what to write about, it can guide you on a broad topic or theme that you want to focus on. For example, if you are writing about the Battle of Waterloo, your prompt generator phrase could be “Eggs and soldiers” or “A rolling stone gathers no moss.”
From here, you can move to specific details, such as the time of day, who your characters are, and what they are doing.
Creative Writing Prompts Examples
1) A rolling stone gathers no moss.
2) Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
3) Hot cross buns!
4) The early bird catches the worm.
5) When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
6) Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
7) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
8) Westward the course of empire takes its way.
9) Eggshells crackle and chip with frost.
10) The pen is mightier than the sword.
11) Those who live by the sword die by the sword.
12) Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
13) There’s no place like home.
14) Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
15) Time heals all wounds.
16) Minds are like parachutes – they only function when open.
17) You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.
18 ) If at first, you don’t succeed try, try again.
19 ) If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.
20) A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
21) If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
22) Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
23) When one door closes another opens.
24) Turn over a new leaf.
25) Every cloud has a silver lining.
26 ) Like father like son.
27 ) He who laughs last laughs best.
28 ) Cry freedom!
Read also, 45 Amazing Mystery Short Story Ideas
How to Start a Creative Writing Prompt?
1) Use the prompts in your writing.
The phrases will come in useful for inspiration if you are struggling with writer’s block. They can help you to overcome procrastination, and get your creative juices flowing again.
2) Combine prompts for a longer story or poem.
You can even take two prompts and combine them to create something new.
3) Use the questions as your starting point.
If you want more guidance, why not try out some online surveys where they ask questions? They might help you to overcome any writer’s block you are facing, and generate some good story ideas for creative writing projects.
4) Make up your own prompts.
You could even come up with some unusual phrases or word combinations that inspire you in entirely different ways! Experiment with different types of words or phrases until you discover what works best for you as a writer.
5) Relax and enjoy yourself.
The great thing about using random idea generators is that there is no pressure–you are just having fun after all!
6) Join the conversation.
Share your favorite prompts in the comments section below–and tell us what you used them for. What are some of your best writing prompts?
7) Keep learning.
While creative writing prompts can help you get started, they should only be one part of your writing process. It is always good to have a backup plan in case you get stuck. You might find that reading through different examples of creative writing prompts, helps you to generate your own ideas.
What are the Benefits of Creative Writing?
There are many benefits to creative writing–and big improvements for students who practice it too! Creative writing prompts can inspire you to pursue your passion and offer a hobby that is low cost but high in satisfaction. Whether you are a teenager or an adult, there are lots of positive reasons why it pays to be creative.
How can I Improve my Creative Writing Skills?
No matter your writing capabilities, improving your creative writing skills can be a challenge. Whether you are trying to get better at writing short stories or novels, there are many ways in which receiving feedback on your work will help. Creative writing prompts can provide some inspiration for practice if you are stuck, but it is important to try out new exercises too. A great way of doing this is to find examples of creative writing prompts online. This will allow you to see how other writers have handled the same assignment, and get some ideas on how you can improve your own work.
How can I Improve my Creative Writing with Prompts?
Creative writing prompts are one way to overcome writer’s block, but it is important to experiment with different practices too. You could even try combining two or more exercises to generate your ideas–and this will help you to break out of any rut you are facing as a writer. Also, be sure to check out other people’s work. If you have been having trouble coming up with creative writing prompts, try reading through different examples online. It might just spark your imagination.
More Examples of Creative Writing Prompts
1) Write about a dragon’s birthday party.
2) You wake up and find yourself in a strange place full of trees.
3 ) Your house is being fumigated, so you have to stay in a hotel for three nights.
4) You are on trial for murder, but nobody knows who your real client was.
5) It is the future, and everyone lives under the sea. However, it seems that one of the mermaids has gone missing.
6) You are being stalked by a dangerous man, who you used to know.
7) A new family has moved in next door, but strangely all of the lights are off.
8) It is 2035 and robots have taken over! They give everyone jobs–but yours was just abolished because it is obsolete now. What do you do?
9) You have fallen in love with a cloud.
10) You have been invited to a masquerade ball, but you cannot decide what mask to wear.
11) Write about the last day of your life.
Final Thoughts on
Even though creative writing prompts can help to unlock your imagination, they should only be part of your overall process. It is always a good idea to read through different examples of creative writing exercises before you get started–and even try out some new ones too. Please share your thoughts on the creative writing prompt below.